The first high school in Lindenhurst was built and opened in 1931, on Wellwood Avenue. It was designed by Amityville architect Lewis Inglee (1886-1960) who also designed the old Babylon Town Hall on Montauk Highway, along with many other local public buildings. Very large and modern for its time, the high school finally gave local students a nearby place to continue their education beyond eighth grade. Before this, students wishing to continue their education past the eighth grade would need to transfer to a neighboring school district, such as Babylon. The school was built on former farmland, purchased by the district a few years earlier. Below is an early photo of the school from the time of its opening. To the right of the building is a farmhouse that originally belonged to Otto Krueger, who had been a manufacturer of artificial flowers often used in making ladies’ hats.