Lindenhurst Digital Photo Collection
Explore some photos from the library’s Local History Collection below. If you have a questions about a particular photo please call the library to speak with Peter Muhr, our Local History Librarian at 631-957-7755 ext.135.
Do you have photos you would like to contribute to the collection? Email firstname.lastname@example.org!
People of Lindenhurst
Independence Day parade, Wellwood Ave., ca. 1965 / Taxi stand, 1930 / Cadets of America and Brownies marching in 1959 Memorial Day parade with Fire chief in Oldsmobile car / Bower School Kindergarten class, 1953-54 / & 1st Grade, 1955 / Village Police officer, 1940’s / Frederick Minneker at his wheelwright shop, northwest corner of School St. & Hoffmann Ave, 1910 / Employees of the harness and upholstery shop of Martin J. Boeckh on Wellwood Ave., ca. 1910 / Charles Heling (right) with passengers of his livery stable stage wagon, ca. 1910 / Hearse of the Heling undertaking establishment on Hoffmann Ave, 1915 / Pfingsten (German Pentecost) celebrants disembark at the train depot, ca. 1910 / Funeral procession for Charles Warta Jr., coach driven by Charles Heling, 1914 / Employees of Ewald J.H. Mielke’s lumber company on West Hoffmann Ave., 1910 / 1901 train depot station house ticket window, ca. 1905 / Pfingst Monday celebrants gather at train depot, ca. 1915 / Employees of Ernest Kaune’s blacksmith shop, corner of School St. & Hoffman Ave., 1910 / First patrons of the new Library, July 1, 1953 / Library employee at temporary storage facility behind building, April, 1968 / Otto F. Eichhammer’s brewery on East John Street, 1915 / Andrew J. Feller in front of his Neguntatogue Inn on Wellwood Ave., 1910 / Charles Thiele with family & employees of his Hoffmann House on East Hoffmann Ave., ca. 1905 / Patrons of Andrew Feller’s Hotel on East Hoffmann Ave., ca. 1895 / Feller’s Hotel family and patrons, ca. 1900 / Entrance of the old Library building, mid 1960’s / Aftemath of fire that destroyed Gleste’s Hotel, southwest corner of Wellwood & Hoffmann Avenues, June, 1912 / Outdoor music program at the old Library, mid 1960’s / Charles Wild in his barbershop at East Hoffmann & South High Street in 1902 / Barbershop of Marcus J. Zeilner (on right) at northeast corner of School Street & West Hoffman Ave. in 1890 / George W. Irmisch’s store & post office on West Hoffmann Avenue, ca. 1900 / Butcher Valentine Goebel (left) with Ed Gleste, ca. 1910 / Goebel with his meat market wagon, ca. 1910 / Torns, Jr. drives the Central Meat Market wagon, ca. 1910 / August Schmalkuche, 2nd from right, with employees of his Schmalkuche Bakery and Grocery, West Hoffmann Ave., 1892 / Closing up the old Library for the last time, May, 1969 / Grocer William Wolter with his 6 children, 1910 / Tinsmith and plumber Henry Ramsauer at his Wellwood Avenue shop in 1890 / Flora Gnilka Gleste, 2nd from left, breaks ground for her husband Edward’s National Theater on Wellwood Avenue, in 1913 / Library trustees breaking ground for the new Library, 1968 / Fire department racing team, ca. 1910.
Lindenhurst Library Through the Years
Dedication of future Library site, 1947 / Mid 1990’s Library lobby renovation / Early 1990’s Children’s Room Renovation & re-opening ceremony / New Library Reference room, 1969 / Windows on Wellwood celebration parade, 1999 / Children’s fund raising campaign for Windows on Wellwood, 1998 / Reference room scene, early-1990’s / Library time capsule burial, 1969 / Outdoor Library concert, mid-1960’s / Temporary storage trailers behind old Library, mid-1960’s / Installation of new Library sign, 1969 / Old Library Reference room, ca. 1960 / Presentation of new Library design, 1945 / Dedication of new Library site, 1947 / Big Bird in the Children’s Room, 1970’s
Hoffmann Avenue West across train tracks, Nehring’s Hotel at right, new School Street School in left background, from roof of Gleste’s Hotel, 1910 / Train tracks west across Wellwood Avenue, 1966 / Train depot facing East, early 20th Century / Depot facing southeast, across Wellwood Ave., early 20th Century / Wellwood Avenue north from Our Lady of Perpetual Help R.C. Church, early 20th Century / Westbound train loading with passengers, early 20th Century / Eastbound train from Wellwood Avenue crossing gates, mid-20th Century / Late 1960’s scene at depot, looking northwest across Wellwood Avenue crossing / Eastbound train at depot, ca. 1915 / Original 1870 train depot station house, burned in 1901 / Rebuilt station house which served until 1968 / Depot freight house and baggage cart / Babylon Railroad, an electrified trolley route that operated between Babylon and Amityville from 1910 to 1920 / Trolley storage car barn at Belmont Junction near Great East Neck Road / Eastbound South Shore Railroad steam locomotive stopped at the train depot with Nehring’s Hotel in background, ca. 1875 / Proposal for unrealized Breslau and Fire Island Railroad / Depot station house showing warning sign at Wellwood Avenue crossing / Train depot freight house, later connected to station house / Depot looking southeast with Gleste’s Hotel in background, ca. 1905 / Wider view shows Wellwood Avenue crossing & partially obscured bank building / Depot looking east from Wellwood Avenue crossing, ca. 1905 / Close-up of freight house to the east of the station house / Steam locomotive sits on Westbound track at depot, ca. 1910 / Depot showing eastbound track directly in front / Wide view of train sitting on westbound track in front of depot / Station house showing gas light fixtures, ca. 1905 / Mid-1920’s view looking north from Wellwood Avenue crossing, showing new manually operated crossing gates, traffic signal and World War One monument, with former Nehring’s Hotel on corner / 1968 views of depot in it’s final days / In 1926, the depot station house and freight house were joined together and moved slightly to the east, depicted in this view looking west / Wellwood Avenue crossing looking west, ca. 1967.
Maps and Media
10 dollar bank notes issues by First National Bank of Lindenhurst, ca. 1907 / 1870 Breslau advertisement / 2 maps of Lindenhurst, from 1888 and 1915, show the exponential growth of the community / Ca. 1871 map shows proposed Breslau & Fire Island Avenue Railroad, divided lots being sold by Thomas Welwood & original name of Wellwood Avenue north of the village (Nequntatogue Road). Note Welwood’s name spelled correctly on the Avenue here, although it is actually named Wellwood!, / 1873 map showing Breslau station and unrealized proposed Central Railroad extension / 1873 South Side Railroad advertisement from the New York Daily Graphic / 1915 advertisement for opening of the National Theater on Wellwood Avenue / 1947 Newsday article about destruction of the theater by fire / 1870 South Side Signal advertisement announcing opening of the brand new Nehring’s Hotel on the northwest corner of Wellwood and Hoffman Avenues.